The same author (Dr. Karp) wrote "The Happiest Baby on the Block" as well. I just got that DVD along with another one called "Dunstan Baby Language," and I'm excited to put them to use with the new baby. Both of those are just for soothing infants ages 0 to 3 months, and they seem to make a lot of sense. So, I'll let you guys know how they work out for me. :) I'm kind of addicted to parenting books. I don't read a lot of fiction, because I'm constantly reading books about babies, pregnancy, parenting, child development, etc. I love them!
So, we'll see how the transition from one to two kids goes for us. I've been trying to work really hard with Aubrey to get her to be independent in things that she can be. When the baby is born, she'll have been potty trained for close to a year, and now she doesn't really need help using the potty anymore unless she's somewhere that doesn't have a kiddy seat (she falls in, haha). She's completely night potty-trained too, so that's nice. She's very well adjusted to her new room. I wanted to make sure she had plenty of time for the switch, so it didn't seem like the new baby kicked her out of her room. She of course has her bad days, but she's improving everyday at listening. I just love her to death! So, the challenge for me will be to make sure I still give her lots of attention when the baby is born, since it's been just her for the last 3 years. It will be harder for me with a baby in tow, but I still want to take her to all the fun places we do now, like Lagoon, Kangaroo Zoo, bowling, parks, etc. And finally, I'll try to just read to her a lot while I'm nursing the baby, since that's pretty time consuming at first. Oh man, I hope I can juggle all of this. It's getting slightly nerve-wracking the closer I get to delivery, but all I can do is my best!
3 comments:
Thank you for your kind remarks of Dr. Karp and for mentioning The Happiest Baby and Toddler on the Block. We are so glad to hear that the techniques for taming tantrums and raising your daughter to become more patient and respectful are working so well. Dr. Karp suggests watching the Toddler DVD in addition to reading the book as it is a great visual approach of his ideas. Dads especially love this visual approach!
Regarding your little one that is due in a few months, Dr. Karp highly recommends using slightly harsh white noise in addition to the 5 S's learned from watching The Happiest Baby on the Block DVD.
Our Super-Soothing Sleep Sounds CD is a perfect accompaniment to swaddling & should be played all night long at the intensity level of a shower sound. The CD of white noise will create a "buffer" to the outside disturbances during a baby's slumber and will increase sleep 1-3 hours a night!
We are creating a new website that will include photos, blog entries, etc from parents benefitting from Dr. Karp and his amazing techniques. Would we have permission to use your blog comment on the website? Please let us know at your convenience.
And Melanie, if you have a moment, we would truly appreciate you leaving a short review on Amazon. It really helps new parents read about the experiences of seasoned parents...like you!
Thank you again & have a wonderful weekend!
Best,
Kristen Terry
The Happiest Baby, Inc.
kristen@thehappiestbaby.com
www.thehappiestbaby.com
Went through some boxes and found your wedding announcement so I decided to look for the Carlsons - I was in luck! This is April (Mortensen) Leatham - old roommate at Summerhays. Your daughter is gorgeous, good luck with your son. I have three little ones - Talmage (just turned 2) and twin girls who are six months... I'm exhausted! But loving it! I don't have a blog, but would love to hear from you - aprilleatham@gmail.com. We're in Provo at least until Jeremy finishes his Masters in August. Love, April
Hey, cool reply from THB:-)
I haven't read the book, but I have mostly been trying what Dad has told me - just trying to keep a level head myself so that I can calm Cameron down better. I have found I can have a short fuse (in case you haven't already noticed that, LOL).
As I mentioned before, I would be happy to watch Aubrey sometimes while you take care of the baby. Or vice-versa. My new job should be keeping me pretty busy in the mornings, but I should be free most afternoons.
Post a Comment